Did you know that maintaining a healthy scalp is essential for the overall growth and health of your hair? Your scalp is responsible for sending sebum [natural oils] and nutrients along the hair shaft resulting in hair that is properly hydrated and nourished.
How many of you exfoliate your scalp? Did you know that exfoliation helps to remove dead skin cells, product buildup, as well as excess sebum? Dead skin cells, buildup and the likes can all cause inflammation [aka; an itchy, flaky scalp], which can later lead to thinning hair, and even hair loss [in fact, inflammation is one of the number one causes of hair loss in women today].
Another culprit for hair loss is products loaded with PETROLEUM. Petroleum “seals” off the scalp, thus trapping dead skin, bacteria, and perspiration under the layer of petroleum, which can also result in inflammation of the scalp; and later hair loss.
What Can You Do?
Pre-Shampoo – A pre-shampoo treatment is necessary as shampoo is water-soluble, therefore it will not remove sebum [sebum is oil-soluble], toxins, and pollutants that are lodged in your hair follicle. Oil dissolves oil, in our case; the oil from your pre-shampoo treatment will dissolve excess sebum, and other oil soluble residue on your scalp. [pre-shampoo 1x weekly]
Tip: Formulate your Pre-Shampoo treatment with herbal infused oils to deliver nutrients deep inside the hair shaft, as this will strengthen the hair and nourish the follicle.
Here’s A Great Pre-Shampoo Recipe:
Add 1/2 cup Coconut Oil to a Crock Pot set on low; drop in 1 teaspoon each of the following herbs: Horsetail, Rosemary, Sage, and Burdock Root. Allow herbs to steep in the oil for about 20-30 minutes. Remove the herbs from the oil and let cool. Apply herbal infused coconut oil to unwashed, dry hair and follow your normal pre-shampoo routine.
About This Formulation:
- Horsetail: Purported to speed hair growth, clear skin inflammations, and strengthen hair follicles
- Rosemary:Rosemary is purported to stop hair loss, add sheen, and impart shine and nutrients
- Sage: Sage is great for clearing up skin inflammations Burdock: Imparts shine, strengthens hair at the follicle, and nourishes hair with essential fatty acids
Exfoliate Your Scalp Once Weekly – You can also gently exfoliate your scalp in lieu of pre conditioning treatments.
Here’s A Great Scalp Exfoliant Recipe:
Mix 2 Tablespoons of Brown Sugar + 5 tablespoons of Jojoba Oil and 2 drops of Tea Tree Oil in a small bowl. Massage the exfoliant mixture gently onto scalp with the balls of your fingertips [do not scratch] for about 1-2 minutes. Rinse well with cold water, then follow up with an ACV rinse to remove any additional product residue.[exfoliate 1x weekly]
Nourish & Stimulate Growth
Scalp Massages – Massage your scalp at least three times weekly with the balls of your fingertips for about 10 minutes, as it stimulates blood flow to the follicles and promotes hair growth. Using a natural bristle brush, brush your hair to distribute natural oils along the hair shaft. Brushing your hair stimulates the scalp as well.
Enrich Your Scalp Massage Oil With Nourishing Essential Oil
Add 3 drops each of the following essential oils to 1/4 cup of Jojoba Oil: Tea Tree, Rosemary, Lavender. Mix well then add 3 drops of Vitamin E oil. Add to a dark amber bottle, and store in a cool location.
Tip: Store all products formulated with a large amount of essential oils in dark, amber colored
bottles [like these
]. As light has a tendency to damage essential oils. Storing your formulation is bottles is also recommended, as essential oils can degrade plastic containers.
About This Formulation:
- Jojoba Oil: Jojoba Oil is non-greasy and most closely resembles the skin’s sebum. It’s antibacterial properties help to clear and prevent skin inflammation on the scalp. Purported to help aid in speeding up hair growth. Removes the buildup of sebum and other oil-soluble buildup.
- Tea Tree Oil:This natural anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal essential oil is highly effective when it comes to preventing skin inflammation, and keeping bacteria at bay.
- Lavender Oil:Stimulates circulation which aids in hair growth, and also helps eliminate drandruff
- Rosemary Oil: This essential oil nourishes the scalp, slows down premature hair loss, imparts mega-shine, and also helps eliminate and prevent skin inflammations.
- Vitamin E oil heals the scalp, and also helps protect the hair shaft from harsh environmental elements